Sunday, April 16, 2017

The City of Ember


The City If Ember was written by Jeanne Duprau. It is about an underground city created to save the human race. The city starts off thriving but as years continue to pass they begin to run out of supplies. They are running low on food and resources and true colors begin to show. The two main characters Lina and Doon begin to put the pieces together and try to find a way out of their city.

This was a great read! The book is extremely unique and has some features in it that I have never seen before when it comes to novels. The book is a mix of fantasy, mystery, and treasure hunt, it can appeal to many audiences, not just young adults.

I think the book was well put together, I think the book reads at a good pace and the characters were well thought out. They have some great traits that a lot of the readers can relate to. Not only does the book keep you on your toes, it also ends with a great cliffhanger. Main character Lina and Doon make some courageous decisions in order to save their family, this is a great message to the readers. This book is the perfect example of the true meaning of friendship.

Pros: The books characters were very realistic. They did things children their age would do and took realistic risk to save their families. The plot was also interesting, there were many events that took place throughout the book the made the story. I thought the setting was great to. It was made out to be some sort of utopia but was and underground place for human society.

Cons: Some of the events were a bit unrealistic. The book also got a bit slow at times.

Overall I think this book would be great in the classroom. I did not have many negative things to say about the novel and I think this is something that the students will love! I know I did.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Gina,

    I enjoyed your review and here were a few thoughts:
    Ugh, I hate it when books end in a cliffhanger! Than I seen that this was “the first Book Of Ember” and now I’m curious to see how the other novels tie together. Perhaps your cliffhanger will be solved in the next book!
    This novel seems right up my alley, since I’m a huge fan of dystopian societies and apocalyptic futures in novels. I’m a bit interested in the book because of my favoritism and I think I might try to pick it up for a quick read in the near future. Hopefully the slow bits won’t put me off.
    Since there were realistic characters it may make the book more relatable and the fiction or “unrealistic” scenarios might be overlooked for some readers.
    The themes of friendship and family are extremely important for young adults and from your review I would agree that this is a novel that can be taught in a classroom setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing about this book when it first came out, but I never really understood what it was about, so your review is very helpful! This sounds like something I would definitely be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete