Sunday, April 2, 2017

Love: The Fox


The Fox is the second of the award-winning wildlife graphic novel series, Love, by author Frederic Brremaud and illustrator Federico Bertolucci. Set in a woodland setting, this graphic novel follows the story of a fox on his day to day journey through the trees and the near seashore. However, the story focuses on a not-so-ordinary day ---- a volcanic eruption has occurred and is putting chaos all over the area, making all animals ran for safety and secure their lives. This book tells a story of like no other -- a different graphic novel that will truly open your eyes into the world of the animal kingdom.

One of the things I really liked about this graphic novel is its authenticity and how it is not pretentious. It is a given fact that the characters are animals. Even so, Bremmaud and Bertolucci decided not to put too much dialogue, since animals never really speak. Rather, they focus the drama on the events that happen in the story. It is almost as if one is watching a documentary from National Geographic Channel. Furthermore, I love how human the story is. You can actually really feel and tell the emotions of the animals in the events that occur in the book --- sadness, grief, anxiety, happiness etc.

The second thing I admired in this graphic novel is the terrific and superb artwork. Everything about the novel's art is just outstanding -- detail to detail. It is simply a pleasure to look at from page to page. Like I said earlier, it is as if watching a nature documentary in a book. Even more, some of the panels are very haunting in the sense that it gives one chills. The play with shadow, pencilwork, colors and shadings is simple phenomenal.

 This book, in my opinion, is targeting young adult to adult readers. Since it has no dialogue, the audience must use their own creative effort -- their own imagination. Its wordlessness will really trigger not only one's imagination but also respect to the fauna kingdom and nature as a whole. Furthermore, somehow, its wordlessness evokes sound in my head -- perhaps, this is my own creative imagination.

Here is a trailer for the book:
https://vimeo.com/135823253

1 comment:

  1. Hello James,

    Reading stories, let alone graphic novels, with animals as the central characters just feels weird for me. Although I’ve read plenty of them it’s just really a twist to get their insight on the world and for their thought pattern to closely resemble our own. (I’m thinking Animal Farm here!) I like how this graphic novel takes place in the wildlife and is ultimately a story about survival. The fact that the animals don’t really communicate peaks my interest and I’m curious to see how the narrator explains the events as they unfold. You did a great review and I’m on my way to purchase this on Amazon after this, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete