Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Music was IT: Young Leonard Bernstein



The world of music is a painful craft. As a budding musician, I think I have the right to say so. Especially in the classical music industry, there a lot of hurdles, hardships and problems that one will face before achieving something -- and it's a cycle, so it goes on and on and on! Although it's a very hard world and craft to live in, it is very much rewarding, nonetheless. The amount of self fulfilment that you can get is beyond belief.

Music Was It: Young Leonard Bersntein by Susan Robin clearly captures what I said above. Her nonfiction work tells the story of how the young Leonard Bernstein came to love music, form a passion and eventually make it his living.

The book itself is written for 9-12 years old. Rubin's writing is pretty much simple and very direct, however, what I like about it is that it not condescending in the sense that it doesn't discredit Bernstein. Also, I like how Rubin included old memoirs of Bernstein with other famous musicians such as Aaron Copland and Rudolf Serkin. The book also shows photos of Leonard's study notes when he was in Harvard and also programme notes of his concerts. These all engaged me both as a reader and as a musician.

I really admire how the book captures Leonard Bernstein in a charming and quirky way at the same telling the story how hard it is for him to achieve success being an AmericanJew in Massachusetts. How his family is against to his dream of music -- I, myself, can relate to this and quite frankly, I became a little emotional. Aside from his family, Rubin talked how it was also hard for him to please and endure the society's prejudice due to his American Jew heritage -- that he has a lot more to prove than a typical American musician.

I really highly recommend this nonfiction work to all people regardless of age or profession. I certainly believe that everyone can relate to Bernstein's story and Rubin did justice in this part. Rubin grabbed a sense of empathic feeling that anyone can relate to, especially if one is just starting to achieve that American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment