Tuesday, April 18, 2017




Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Book 1) by Ann Brashares.



I don't really feel strongly one way or another about this book. It was a great book about teenage friendship and the hardships we all faced at that age: boys, family, and friends. This is a book about four best friends, practically sisters, about to spend their first summer apart since they were in utero. Lena is on her way to Greece, Bridget is going to soccer camp, Carmen is headed to South Carolina to visit her dad, and Tibby is stuck home with her first part time job. Before departing, they find a pair of pants that magically fits all four of them, despite having very different body types. While off on each of their adventures, they all find something that brings their world crashing down. The book was cute, and Brashares made you really care about each of girls and even secondary characters. I did, however, find much that really bothered me about the book. First off, I think this could have been the same story of friendship without the magic pants. I never saw it as the pants giving them bravery or courage, but it was them doing it to have a story to tell with the pants. Second, I think some of the story lines were dull and inadequate. Lena and Kostos should have had more of a story line. Given Lena's personality, I feel like that's where the strange love story should have come into play. The thing that bothered me most was the lack of character development. The only one who really changes is Tibby. Despite everything the rest of them went through the summer, I didn't see a change in any of them from beginning to end. The thing I loved most though was all the true emotions this book portrayed. You really felt for Carmen when her whole summer blew up after one car ride. Your heart truly broke for Tibby when she learned how much worse things could really be. And mostly you understood the whole let down Bridget experiences at camp. I wish I had read this when I was younger, because I would have gotten much more out of it than I did. I think it is a heartwarming story that if I was a teenager I would have loved reading. As an adult, it seems oddly reminiscent of a summer I didn't get to experience, but am still glad I got to read about it. I really enjoyed each of their stories. The girls were all unique. Lena was my favorite, probably because she was shy and quiet like me. Carmen was so sure of herself. Tibby thought she knew what was going on with the people around town but they surprised her. Her friendship with Bailey was super sweet. Bridget got on my nerves a bit, since she was so overconfident and cocky at the beginning. My other complaint is how at some points the writing seemed clunky. Not only that, but sometimes the characters would say things that could've been said in a clearer way and those minor details sort-of unnerved me. Also, Lena's romance with Kostos seemed a little too quick. They hardly talked to one another, and then right before she leaves back home she suddenly realizes she loves him? Hmm. I didn't really like that. But Lena is cool, either way. There's something magical about those summers in high school, filled with possibilities and new experiences. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants speaks to that, while also celebrating women and female friendships. There's romance, but there's also a healthy dose of self-awareness, self-discovery, and inner strength formed in each character. A fast read with substance, set in the glorious summer days of youth. I would truly recommend this book to any teenage girl and any mom who has a teenage daughter, because sometimes you need to be reminded of what it is like to be fifteen and sixteen.

Movie Trailer:

Book On Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment