Thursday, March 30, 2017

Princess Jellyfish








Princess Jellyfish written by Ahiho Higashimura 

Have you ever consider a jellyfish to be a princess? 

Princess Jellyfish is a comic book! when I first check the book out I notice how it was written right to left and the front cover was the back of the book. Its the first time I read  book like this and I found it very fun to read. Its and easy read that I  believe many teen readers will be interested to read it. 

The jellyfish represent the relationship of Tsunami and her mother. It reminds her of her death mother taking her to an aquarium and imagining the lace-like tendrils of jellyfish to the dresses of princesses in Tokyo. Tsunami  and her small group of friends who live in an apartment inTokyo, are very  awkward girls who are afraid  of social interaction with  attractive people. They call them “princesses,” who Tsunami constantly compares them to jellyfish, which she loves. The Apartment they live in is under  redevelopment, and the building is going to be demolished to built hotels and shopping centers. 

One of the major things I notice was Cross-Dressing, I never read that in a book and reading it in this one was very enlightening. Kuranosuke, is the son of a rich politician who loves to dress in women clothes and hates politics.I think one of the reasons why he enjoys dressing in beautiful dresses and clothes is because his mother was  a singer in a theatre  where she met his father. After Kuranosuke  was a few years old she took him to his house where she abandoned him, in away I think its a connection he has with his mothers.  Throughout  the  story he develops some sort of loving feeling toward Tsumani, who can only talk to him when he’s dress as a girl and not a boy. Kuranosuke helps the girls fight for their building dress as a women and empowers women power on them, he also transforms them into princesses but they go back to being their normal self .

Pros: The comic book is easy to read, its engaging and fun to understand. I think most teens that are into Japanese comics will enjoy it! I like that introduce cross-dressing as something fun and not something that not appropriate.  I also like that Kuranosuke  tries to teach the girls that confidence is important and they should embrace it to get what they want. One more thing I came across was that the book has its own series and you can watch every episode on youtube, although I think reading the book will be much faster than searching for every episode. 

Cons: I don’t like that there are multiple books after this one, and that I have to read the next one to know what happens to each character and wether or not they demolish their apartment building; I kind off wish it was part of the first book not the second. 

This is  episode one, of the book its very catchy. 
https://youtu.be/qc0rPdcyaUo

This is the book cover and chapter 1. 
http://kodanshacomics.com/series/princess-jellyfish/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment